Mailgun is a free alternative for receiving and sending email using a custom domain.
Why not just use gmail?
Because this setup is free, just a little more work. Mailgun will act as an email service, and Gmail as email hosting. Visually it would work like this:
- you have your own website and a gmail account.
- you know what dns records are.
- you have registered an account with Mailgun and followed their steps for setting up nameservers.
- Add a catch all route – Mailgun will forward all emails to that route. Go to your mailgun account -> Receiving -> Add Route. Fill with your gmail account. Form should look like this:
- Go to your Gmail -> Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Send mail as -> Add another email address.
- Authenticate with your mailgun smtp credentials.
- Verify email with verification code that Google sent to your email address.
Read verification code by checking mailgun domain logs (Quick View).